Sunday, April 13, 2008

Such a favorite!

Only last month I was lamenting the loss of Angel of the Centerfold and Crescent City. Now I find I have new reasons to rejoice every week; I have a new favorite!

In a marathon read that took most of Friday evening and yesterday evening (after I got back from a long day) I have caught up with Bekah's wonderful story Of Time Gone By. This is an exciting take on the Pride and Prejudice story line- as it portrays the sweetest, yet most flawed Darcy I have ever had the pleasure of reading. After a brief flashback, the story opens in a traditional manner- the Netherfield party arriving at the Assembly ball, accompanied by Georgiana Darcy, and without Mr. Darcy. Her brother is a recluse; his behavior stemming from a disability he acquired during a childhood bout with brain fever, a disability neither understood nor tolerated in the early nineteenth century.

And so the story continues; as Elizabeth befriends both sister and brother, and learns to love him despite her first bad impression. Beautifully written, I could not stop myself even at one in the morning, from trying to read just one more chapter. I found the characters crawl under my skin and come to life in my imagination- I can almost hear Mr. Darcy and see Georgiana's expressions as she tries to explain his behavior and shield him from further notice. As I read the last chapter, I was sad to have finally come to the end of what was written, and anxious for the next post!

Bekah, you have written a lovely, elegant story, and I look forward to your next chapter.

Of Time Gone By is posted at DWG and 50 Miles.

No comments: