Tuesday, April 8, 2008

High Diversion

Two posts have succeeded in highly diverting me this morning. I thought I'd pass them on.

I've been extolling the virtues of End of Innocence, and today I have yet another example of the droll wit this fic exudes. In today's post.... but perhaps I will let it speak for itself:

"After sleeping my entire life with my hands neatly above the covers, Mr Wentworth, I have discovered that ladies prefer warm hands and if one cannot escape marrying one in the near future, one had best try and change one's habits well in advance."

The character speaking is referring to sleeping with his hands underneath him, so he will not be tempted to touch the lady sleeping next to him before they are married. The entire post had me laughing out loud. I love this story!

The second, Life Changes, took quite a turn on Elizabeth's initial introduction to Hunsford. Elizabeth decided that, instead of preserving the distinction of rank, she should put on her best gowns, following Mr. Collins' orders a bit too precisely. Hilarity ensues, as a mischievous devil appears to take over Elizabeth causing her to play Lady Catherine for the fool she is, including passing off a Mozart sonata as a piece from Beethoven. My particular favorite is this exchange:

"You must practice more, Miss Bennet," Lady Catherine admonished her, "and concentrate on your fingering."

"Indeed, I should, Lady Catherine. No matter how hard I try, my Beethoven always comes out sounding like Mozart."

Is there any felicity in the world compared to this?

End of Innocence is posted at DWG, and Life Changes is at HG.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

It's amazing but that is my favorite line/passage from that chapter, especially later when the cousins reflect on how cheeky Miss Elizabeth is, lol.

Thanks for the recommendation. I have wondered about the End of Innocence and will now read it.