Friday, March 21, 2008

A New Addition to Our Party

We have had some new additions to the world of fan fiction in the last few weeks- let me introduce them to you!

White Lies and Other Half Truths, rated R and posted at HG and AHA, is a charming tale of the white lies that are exposed between Elizabeth and Darcy. I've enjoyed the last couple of chapters- particularly the Frigid Witty Bitty Sisterhood. The title says it all.

For the Benefit of Mr. King, rated PG-13 and posted at HG is a clever what-if: what if Mary King had been set upon by Wickham? What if her older brother stepped in to defend her? What would happen if he killed our not-so-favorite Lieutenant, and was forced to face the consequences? My favorite twist in this story is that dear, silly Mary, with her "Jan Brady" complex, is given a prominent role.

A Better Man, rated PG and posted at AHA, tells Elizabeth's attempt to come to grips with her family's faults, and deal with the insights Darcy made her aware of in his letter. I love where this story is taking Elizabeth and her family. Or perhaps just Elizabeth- her family do not change. Yet.

To be honest, I have not yet read The Cumberland Plateau, simply because it is marked HIGH ANGST, and I am a closet member of Angst Weenies Anonymous. Well, I guess I'm not anymore, but that is not to the point. This is posted on both AHA and HG- those of you who are brave enough to foray in to angst, let me know what you think- I will wait until I can read the whole thing. The angst is lessened that way.

And if you are enjoying Paths of Men, be sure to check out the companion story, An Engaging Friendship, posted at AHA, HG, and DWG and rated PG. This story is giving us the scoop on what Lizzy and Darcy are up to- and it makes a perfect addition to understand Paths.

And this update would not be complete without mentioning the latest Baugham adventure, The Hunting Season, rated PG-13 and posted at AHA. I enjoy reading these- they are so clever.

So, until next time, find a piece of Austen fiction and loose yourself in it!

1 comment:

pixzlee said...

I've read the Cumberland Plateau in its entirety. Unfortunately I don't know where it was posted and cannot find it now. It was satisfyingly long and you can rest assured that the angst does resolve itself pleasantly in the end. Of all the JAFF I've read, it has parts that are memorable and have stood out from the bunch. So, I recommend you read it even in installments as its worth it.