Saturday, March 29, 2008

A Most Amusing Story

I have spent a very charming evening, checking the posts on DWG. To my great pleasure, I have discovered one of the funniest stories it has ever been my pleasure to read!

Have you ever seen the 1945 Pride and Prejudice, with Greer Garson and Lawrence Olivier? At the very end, when Lady Catherine calls at Longbourn to refuse her consent to the marriage of Darcy and Elizabeth, Elizabeth rings for the footman to show her to her room rather than give her the promise she requests. Of course, Lady Catherine does not stay, and the story proceeds (fairly) as it does in the book. Whenever I watch that movie, I always wonder what might have happened had Lady Catherine followed through on her proposal.

Now I know! And I haven't laughed so hard in a very long time!

I Shall Not Go Away, by Sandy L, takes just such a tack from canon. Elizabeth is beset by a stubborn Lady Catherine, and of course, our heroine's courage always arises at such occasions. The hilarity includes Mr. Bingley discovering the events of April, Lady Catherine's sojourn on the couch in the parlor (against Elizabeth's strict orders she be confined to the dining room) and a plot concocted to keep Mrs. Bennet and her nerves safely ensconced in her room, and unable to spread the word of her illustrious guest's arrival.

I Shall Not Go Away is posted in two parts. Please, so see them! You will certainly be entertained!

1 comment:

Pamala Knight said...

This was such a delightful story! I had quite a few laugh out loud moments and I wore a wry little smile throughout the reading. Thanks for the recommendation.